northwest

Portland Center for the Performing Arts


Portland Center for the Performing Arts

Portland, OR

Located on a two-block site occupied by three national historic buildings, the award-winning PCPA includes the renovation of a 1928 historic movie theatre and vaudeville house into an elegant 2,776-seat Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall, as well as the New Theatre Building housing three performance theaters. The result is a beloved cultural destination for Portlanders—offering venues for contemporary music, opera, symphonies, Broadways, and the dramatic arts that moderates between a bustling downtown neighborhood at its front door and a leafy urban park to the west. The two buildings are integrated by a street between the two venues that can be closed to traffic to host special outdoor events or allow patrons to mingle freely during intermission or after performances.

Size

95,000sf renovation 127,000sf addition

Recognitions

Merit Award, USITT
Merit Award, AIA Portland
Honor Award, AIA East Bay
Design Excellence, Progressive Architecture

Collaborators

ELS Architects
Barton, Myers and Associates
CH2M Hill

Theatre Projects
R. Lawrence Kirkegaard and Associates
James Carpenter