Built more than a century ago, the Meier & Frank Building is a beloved downtown Portland landmark. Relics of history and architectural detail inspired a new, juxtaposed character for the interior spaces, blending the past and present.
Integrating the repositioned brand throughout the building brought a cohesive layer of character to the project, providing wayfinding and landmarks in both applied and constructed ways. The ampersand composed of brass bars, the building directory, and raised letter directional signage are just a few ways in which the brand personality is felt throughout the space.
The history and story of the building is elevated through patterning: the terrazzo floor in the Lobby features a brass inlay reflecting the stages in which the building was constructed—starting in 1908 with major expansions occurring in 1914 and 1932—followed by two eras of repositioning. This geometric floor pattern is offset by the brass-toned screen’s simplified and organic abstraction of a terracotta tile pattern found on the exterior of the building.