We’ve been around awhile. Back in 1958, when narrow lapels and tight slacks were first in fashion, we were founded as Broome Selig Oringdulph and our focus was designing schools and small commercial buildings. From the start we were guided by a contextual, user-centric design philosophy which is still a foundation of our practice today.
Beards and Wide Ties
In 1969 we added more partners and moved into the historic Abbot Mills mansion in the Nob Hill neighborhood of Portland, which we all referred to as “the old house.” Our firm’s name evolved to Broome, Oringdulph, O’Toole, Rudolf, and Associates, which, in the interest of brevity, became BOOR/A. Forty-seven years later we decided to further simplify our name to just Bora.
Over these years our work helped shape the Pacific Northwest, its architecture, and our hometown of Portland. We expanded our practice to include performing art centers, higher education facilities, and civic buildings throughout the region. Even as we grew our practice always retained a family-like culture which was underscored by the elegant old house.
LEED Platinum Studio
Today we occupy a highly flexible LEED Platinum studio on the top floor of the historic Morgan Building in the heart of downtown Portland. We renovated it to create a loft-like space that embodies both our commitment to sustainability and our collaborative culture. We eliminated private offices in favor of open space and informal gathering places to foster collective exploration and problem-solving. Some visitors have commented that our space looks like a design school–a comparison that pleases us.
We’ve also continued to design significant campus buildings for regional schools and universities, including Newberg School District, Vernonia School District, Oregon State and Portland State University.